Charter Trust Company has contributed to the economic health and strength of the communities we serve. We are proud that our employees are involved in the communities in which we live and work. Charter Trust Company provides philanthropic support of these efforts across the northern New England states of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont within the footprint of our bank branches.
Charter Trust Company’s charitable mission is to improve the economic prosperity and health of our communities through our commitment to impactful philanthropy and volunteer service engagement.
Our approach to community giving favors proposals that:
- Advance economic growth and community vitality
- Establish measurable goals which are based on sustainable collaborations
- Focus on education and workforce development initiatives
- Support families at risk with a strategy linked to a path of self-sufficiency
We understand that nonprofits provide crucial services for those in need and that they require a broad base of community support from individuals, corporations, civic organizations, and foundations. We believe that we can make the most impact through numerous smaller gifts rather than a few large ones.
Our volunteer services and charitable donations primarily benefit programs and services for those who reside in the regions outlined below.
- MAINE: Hancock, Kennebec, Lincoln, Penobscot, Sagadahoc, Waldo, Washington
- NEW HAMPSHIRE: Grafton, Hillsborough, Merrimack, Sullivan
- VERMONT: Orange, Rutland, Washington, Windsor
Requests should be clearly defined, stating how support will make measurable positive impact. The amount requested should be within the scope of the project or the number of people who will benefit.
Nonprofits who have received funding from Charter Trust Company are not eligible to reapply for sponsorship support in the same year. The intention with this guideline is to encourage nonprofits to build a broad base of philanthropic support.
Charter Trust Company will not fund nonprofits that discriminate on the basis of: age, race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Charter Trust Company does not generally provide financial support for the following:
- Activities with limited access for the general public
- Annual Appeals
- Government agencies
- Individual / adult teams and associations
- Lobbying groups
- Private foundations
- Political activities
- Religious and labor organizations
- Third party solicitations
- Underwriting for travel expenses
- Programs with services focused outside our geographic service area
Bar Harbor Bank & Trust has a Common Proposal Form. You can access this here or contact your local branch to request a copy. We require a minimum of 9 week notice to review and approve requests.
For more information on the BHBT community giving program, please contact us by email at CommunityGiving@barharbor.bank.